Yesterday was 20th October, 2021. 

On 20th October, 2020, many peacefully protesting Nigerians were killed in a Lekki Massacre. Yesterday was a memorial but then I really could not put my hands to write anything about it because I was sore at heart. The only thing I could put up was some random post on Instagram .

We will not forget - 20th October, 2020 by Nelson Vincent Ayomitunde

The first time i was stopped and searched by the Police was early 2020. I had traveled to Ife so I could submit my final year project. COVID 19 lockdown had not  been placed in Nigeria at the time so it was somewhat a free way. I was traveling back home when we met them at a check point. Now, if you are familiar with the Ibadan/Ife Road down to Ilesa/Akure/Benin, you would know that there are no less than five police check points. On a "very good" day, you would meet as much as 9 check points. This is a different story for another day.

As we approached the check point, the conductor started asking guys in the bus to pass their belongings to him. In his words, he said "gbe bag e wa. Shey laptop wa ninu e? Gbe wa". This meant "bring your bag. Is there a laptop inside it? Bring it."

That was when I understood what was happening.

My friends who are into mainstream media, programming and generally computer related skills have at one point in time or the other, shared their experiences with SARS operatives and members of the force. They also told me how that each time, you'd likely have to settle them or risk losing anything, including your life in worse case scenario. I was almost getting scared as those stories played in my mind. I had also watched videos of police brutality and I honestly did not want that to happen to me. 

There was this elderly woman with a child seated by my right. I  


One other thing I do is to make sure that no one in the vehicle is using an earpiece when you approach a police checkpoint. I don't know if it's rude according to some force rules, but there is this thing they usually feel about you using your earpiece when they are talking to you or someone in the bus. If you meet the devil on duty, it is likely that you are delayed for longer than necessary (if you are not shot already) but if it is a kind-hearted officer, you should leave sooner than you thought.


To our heroes - the ones who died trusting that their country was not going to harm them because they were singing the national anthem and raising the flag, we are sorry you put your trust in the wrong country but your death won't be in vain. We remember you and your family always. We feel anger, death, pain and frustration each time we remember. We also promise to fight more because of you, as long as we can stay safe enough to do better for the next generation.